Sunday, June 1, 2014

Random Thoughts

I love the time just before sunrise, especially in the desert. There's something stark & beautiful, even peaceful, about that stillness. As my eyes adjust to the dark transitioning to dawn, my mind feels clear. The air here is usually cool & fresh. The madness of the day hasn't started. That time is fleeting, but I enjoy it.

Made lasagna yesterday. It was good, but I ate too much of it. My innards were crying out for relief throughout the night. So, I got up at 0430 hours for a nice, long walk. There will come a time where I will take the lesson learned to heart, the lesson of "don't be a glutton".

During the walk, I heard a couple of tracks from Berlin's "Love Life" CD. Even though it's an artifact from the New Wave '80s, I still get a kick out of it. Most songs deal with the dark, disillusioned side of love & romance (to which I can obviously relate). The scratchy guitar licks get under my skin like an itch I can't reach. The rat-tat-tat of the drums hit like tommy-gun fire. The beats would fit in with any spinning class; the lyrics, not so much. Terri Nunn's vocals purr one moment, snarl the next. It's one of the most thematically cohesive CDs I've ever heard.

Watching "Sink the Bismarck!" before heading out to church. I was never in anyone's navy, but the sea battle scenes look authentic. The scenes of the operations staff poring over charts and planning missions bring back nice memories as well.

It's June - Flag Day, Father's Day and the first day of summer are all coming. June is an underrated month. In addition, it's one month closer to my moving back to Tennessee.

No comments:

Post a Comment