Friday, April 12, 2013

My Team - Grizzlies at Houston

The NBA regular season is winding down. I've been watching the "big 4" American pro sports pretty closely since '71, and I always get this same weird feeling at the end of a season. It's part melancholy because something good is ending. It's part relief because NBA or MLB seasons are loooong. It's part excitement because the playoffs are coming. It's part disappointment because my team isn't going to win the title.

Anyway, with four games remaining, Memphis is a full game behind Denver for 3rd place in the Western Conference, and a full game ahead of the Clippers for 4th place.

(Here's where I seek clarification. If I understand correctly, the Clippers are a division winner, but could lose home court in the first round if they finish behind Memphis in conference. I was under the impression that division winners had first round home court advantage due to winning their division. And, I just don't feel like doing the research...whoops, I actually typed that. Yikes.)

Moving on, Memphis is at Houston tonight. Kevin McHale has quietly guided a cohesive unit in Houston. They're a fun bunch to watch, because they get after it on both ends.

In a 29 March game between the two in Memphis, the Grizzlies won 104-93. That game was impacted by Harden's injury - he didn't play at all in the 4th quarter of that game. Between Hardin, Lin, Asik and Parsons, this is still a productive team. Delfino (flu) and Parsons (strained right calf) missed Tuesday night's win over Phoenix. If those two are healthy, I think Houston wins.

The Rockets have averaged nearly 98 PPG in their last 5 home games. I think that should be enough to beat the Grizzlies. My guess: Houston 99, Memphis 95. A healthy Harden is gonna get his. Asik is gonna keep Marc Gasol occupied enough to make that match-up a a draw. It will be fun to watch, with the contrasting styles. I'll do my errands early so I can watch this one extra closely.

As always, my guesses are not for gaming purposes, but for personal entertainment only.

After the Game: Memphis 82, Houston 78. First Memphis win in Houston since 15 April 06 (13 straight losses since then). Balanced scoring plus playoff-caliber defense equaled a surprising win. At least I was surprised.

Memphis had 29 field goals, 18 assists, only 6 turnovers and 10 steals. That level of play could beat most teams in a particular playoff game. Gasol had 15 points, 12 rebs, 5 assists (his 100th career double-double). Randolph added another 15 and 8 rebs, while Bayless added 13 off the bench. The team didn't shoot particularly well, but good enough to win.

Houston had 23 field goals, 18 assists, 20 turnovers and 4 steals. Ugh. Shooting 31% from the floor, at home no less, will usually get you beat worse than four points. Harden got 30, but went 7/24 FG/A. He also turned the ball over 6 times. Lin added 17 and 5 assists, but had 4 turnovers. Your starting back-court turned the ball over 10 times? Yikes.

It went down to the wire. It felt like a playoff game. It was cool to watch, given the team I root for pulled it out.

It was Memphis' 54th win of the year. The Grizzlies are tied with Denver for third place in conference, with both teams having 3 games remaining.

Next up, a Saturday night fight with the Clippers. I don't think these two teams like each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment