Wednesday, July 10, 2013

It Feels Like A Graduation

My son keeps a pretty busy schedule. He's heavily involved in his church, he's in two bands and he's working his way through college. So, there are days where we don't see each other very much. I was mildly surprised to see him earlier than usual on Tuesday morning. He was getting ready to start his day, and shared with me a pretty big announcement. He'd found his first grown-man, full-time, go-to-work-every-day job, and he was to start in a couple of hours.

Like many in his generation, he's troubled by the state of employment in this country. And also like many in his generation, he's trying to figure out what job would be the best fit for his future. Meanwhile, he's got me in his ear, "reminding" him how the "early bird gets the worm", et cetera.

So, on Tuesday, he showed a sense of excitement as well as some relief. I too felt some relief, but for a different reason. I suspect most parents are concerned about the paths their offspring take. I am truly excited for him, based on his employer's mission.

Personally, even as I celebrate his opportunity, I found myself awash in nostalgia. My son is the second-born of my two kids, and I've watched his ups and downs over the years. I found myself remembering his days in pre-school and the day he got his first drum kit. I could see the day he got three tackles in the opening high school football game of his senior season and the day he drove off to college.

So now, we're on "short final" for his landing as an independent man. Before long, he'll move out and build his own life apart from me. He's the last reason I stay in this town, and once he's on his own I'll be done as a parent in this life. Rearing my kids gave my life a sense of focus and purpose. After spending all these years loving, directing and nagging my kids, they won't need my full-contact version of fathering. On some level, it feels like I graduated Tuesday from dad to advisor.

Only God knows what the future holds. With this long-anticipated event, my purpose has to evolve. I can live wherever I want, but what's the best destination? I can spend my days however I want, but what's the best choice for each moment? Do I default into someone selfish, or do I use the remaining years to choose a worthwhile path?

Just like a school graduation, the path ahead is wide-open. The good news is I have lots of choices. The bad news is I have lots of choices.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Nice perspective. It has to feel good to have CHOICES! Choices make you see the world completely different. :-)

    ReplyDelete