Friday, July 19, 2013

Justice, Morality, Irrational Fear and Other Things...

I can't lie. After the Zimmerman verdict last week, I didn't want to write. I was dismayed, and angered. So, I gave it a week, muddled through a few thoughts in my brain bucket and finally decided to share a few things.

1) The "process" may have worked mechanically, but in reality it failed. From what I understand in the media, at the moment just before the confrontation, Martin was walking home from the store. From what I understand, he wasn't in the midst of committing a crime. He was unarmed. Can anyone shed more light on this for me?

2) The shooter was advised by the police not to engage, according to what I've heard. The shooter instigated the scenario anyway. Does anyone have better knowledge?

3) The jury inadvertently established/affirmed an informal policy - you can shoot an unarmed African-American man and be found "not guilty". As another African-American man, I don't wish to be shot while I attempt to live out my golden years.

4) To the gun owner/s reading this, I truly don't care if you own a gun or how many. What I do care about is getting shot. I don't break the law (except for speeding - you got me). If I'm not committing a crime, don't shoot me due to stereotyping or irrational fear.

(Admittedly, I find it odd so many people get guns "to protect their homes", but I don't read an avalanche of home defenses in the papers. I do read about an avalanche of crimes and shootings, perpetrated towards innocent people.)

5) Speaking of, we are fairly smothered in a culture of that irrational fear. Frankly, I'm sick of it. I'm sick of taking the blame for crimes I'll never commit. I'm sick of being accused of fostering an unsafe environment by my very existence, when I'm a law-abiding citizen. Deal with me as an individual, not as a stereotype. Get over your fear and face me in the real world, human being to human being.

6) I dare any of you with kids to truly sit down and ask yourselves "how would I feel if my child were killed under questionable circumstances?" If Martin were your son, could you be so sure "the system worked"?

(Rant over.)

No comments:

Post a Comment