Wednesday, July 24, 2013

My Team - the San Diego Chargers

It's Wednesday, and for some National Football League teams it's the start of pre-season training camp. For my favorite team, the Chargers, it's gonna be an intriguing year.

The 2012 season was a bit of a disappointment. There were expectations of a competitive year, maybe even a playoff appearance. That wasn't to be. The 4th-and-29 late in the Baltimore game was a back-breaker.

Why am I a Chargers' fan? Well, first off I was a fan of the "Air Coryell" offense. Dan Fouts, to me, was one of the all-time great passers. Their pass routes got guys open, Fouts expertly read defenses, and the team moved the ball seemingly at will.

Second, once I realized what & where San Diego was, it became one of my favorite cities in the continental U.S. During my time in the military, I got to attend some meetings there, and fell in love even more with the city. In some daydreams, I have enough cash to actually live there. For me, there's something about ocean waves. I love the rhythm, love the sound.

Anyway, this year, there are certain things I would love to see:

a) Better line play on both sides of the ball. Offensively, they have to protect QB Philip Rivers. Defensively, they have to rush the passer well enough to avoid over-exposing the defensive backs.

b) A placekicker who can 1) stay healthy enough to play 16 games, and 2) kick accurately enough to help the team win close games. Nate Kaeding had his ups and downs during his Chargers' career. He's retired now, so hopefully someone else emerges to claim the job.

c) Rivers is steady enough at QB to lead a more consistent offense. Last year, too many 3-and-outs, too many fruitless possessions.

d) Serious consideration to identifying Rivers' successor. While still a competent QB, Rivers is getting older & he's absorbed a lot of punishment. How much longer can Rivers stand in the pocket, taking a beating, before the team needs a younger player in that spot?

I don't expect the team to win the Super Bowl. I would love to be wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment