Friday, July 5, 2013

"Baby, I'm Back"

Omaha was nice. Got to see old friends and make a new one. Chicagoland was nice, meeting new friends, seeing relatives and enjoying the sights of the area. Memphis was Memphis. Home is always a treat.

For the 13 days, it was 3,400 miles of driving (without a speeding ticket, by the way), eight different states and nice people every step of the way. I watched the Billy Crystal movie "Parental Guidance", and found my ability to laugh again. I walked through a wilderness preserve and saw what my favorite local park could be with a little political foresight.

At a baseball game, I saw for the first time a foul ball land right next to me, and I let it go. In Tulsa, Oklahoma, I got to argue the fundamentals of barbecue with a total stranger. In the end, we were both laughing.

This is one of the biggest things I love about traveling. I get to meet people. Every person's story is valuable and endlessly fascinating. Hearing someone's perspective on an issue gives me food for thought. I won't always agree out of hand, but those exchanges give me a chance to gain some wisdom.

Now that I've had my two weeks of goofing off, it's time to write again.

No comments:

Post a Comment