Friday, January 24, 2014

In Dreams - "What, You're Gonna Run Me Over?"

It started with me back at work, in a shiny office building. I'd gone up to the third floor to wait for some unknown reason. As I waited, I hit the snack bar room for a single-wrapped chocolate Twinkie and a Kit-Kat bar. As I sat there, a guy I used to know approached me. He was in his Airmen Battle Uniform (ABU), but he had a garment bag slung over his right shoulder.

We visited for a bit as if we were lifelong friends. I remembered his face, but couldn't capture his name. We talked for a bit more, but were soon interrupted by increasing numbers of people coming into the room. Seems there was to be some ceremony taking place in the same room in a matter of moments. Since I was in jeans and a hoodie, I was not dressed for the occasion. I hastily gathered my snacks and snuck out.

Next, I was on a farm in West Tennessee (probably Maury City), in a field talking to my mom. The conversation was general shoot-the-breeze stuff, nothing serious. I sat on a four-wheeled bike, like an adult-sized tricycle but with four wheels instead of three. I was facing north, and could see a road 40 yards or so in front of me. On that road, a school bus stopped, and several children exited the vehicle.

As I watched the bus pull off, I could hear something behind me. I turned my head, and saw a Toyota minivan pulling up directly behind me. The driver paused maybe twenty feet or so, then started to ease forward. I was sure he would stop short, so I turned my head back to face my mom. That's when I felt a bump - the van's bumper "kissed" my rear wheels enough to give me a jolt. I was surprised, since no other vehicles were parked near us. Why get so close?

As the driver shut off the van's engine and got out of the vehicle, he looked at me with a sheepish grin and extended his hand as a peace offering. He looked like a shorter, rounder, younger version of Kevin Costner. I refused his handshake offer and verbally lit into him. "What, you're gonna run me over? I ain't shaking your hand, man! You saw me sitting here, hit my bike anyway, put my health at risk, and expect me to say everything's' cool? Well, everything's not cool. Next time, be more careful".

The guy put his hand down, showed an impassive, emotionless expression on his face, and walked away.

No comments:

Post a Comment