Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Am I Ready? Of Course Not


(For those who’ve already thought about these issues, this is a nod of acknowledgement. For those who haven’t, it’s a heads-up – live long enough, and your turn will come.)

We laid my dad to rest in March. In looking at his obituary, he covered a lot of ground in his life. He helped and mentored a lot of people. Many of those folks attended his funeral. It was a comfort to know they thought so much of him and his efforts.

My sisters did a great job of putting his accomplishments on paper. Admittedly, I don’t think I can do his life justice in this space. Even with “how much I love my writing style”, I’m not so confident to feel I can capture what he meant to the community.

This post isn’t just to eulogize my father. Others have done it already, and done it well. This post is to cover one aspect of our going forward after his passing.

I’ve talked with close friends about this point over the years, and I want to put it in print now. Years ago, we would talk about the role patriarchs and matriarchs play in families. Those elders are a readily-available fount of support and wisdom. In some cases, they provide that needed bit of advice that gets us through tough times. Sometimes, they can provide correction, when we are off-course but don’t see it. Sometimes, it may be something as prosaic as financial support (I’m not just advocating it, merely acknowledging that it does happen).  No matter how old we get as progeny, or how many experiences we accumulate, we never possess the wisdom of our elders. Their life experiences and perspective are precious.

Then, suddenly, those elders pass away. One day, we look around and see we are given a new role in our families. Now, it may be my turn to be that source of support. Am I ready? Of course not, but “ready” may not be the right answer. Maybe the question itself doesn’t completely capture the situation.

We’ve all been hit by those real-life moments. There is no way to prepare for the nature of those challenges and what we go through after those moments change our lives.  I can’t carry on my father’s work, since I don’t have his skills. But, I can use a mindset similar to what he used. He didn’t complain about the state of the world, he tried to actively make a difference.

It could come down to the time I spend in community service. It could be providing a listening ear to someone who needs to talk through a situation. It could come down to making a public stand on an issue I’m committed to seeing through to an appropriate conclusion. I’ll have opportunities to help, just like he did. I just have to open my eyes.

No, we can’t replace what my father meant to the local community. To me, we are obligated to carry on, taking the lessons he taught us and moving further down the line. That’s how an old soldier would have done it.

2 comments:

  1. My father was a former soldier, former firefighter, former teacher after that. He'd recognize his past in conversation but never relived it much, always moving forward not living in his past the way a lot of his peers did; If you looked around his house, very few momentos of his past; Some people like your dad can live in the past but it sounds like lived day to day in service. I once had this priest (a mission who'd be all over the world) tell me you have to pray for the power to change, and the change can come. He couldn't quit smoking until he prayed a long time for the strength to quit. I've long thought about this when I have issues, like facing my parents mortality. Don't worry about trying to live up to a standard or emulate your dad, just ask for the strength to be the best son you can, even now.

    Great post, keep them coming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the response. I'm using the experience as a motivator. Time runs out for all of us.

    I'm blessed with a freedom most people pray for, but at times it can be intimidating, I have to fight the urge to "do something useful" every second of my retirement. I seek what he had, that sense of purpose. That feeling of "this is where I belong, doing what I was called to do".

    Thanks for the exchange. I gain every time I hear from smart, thoughtful people.

    ReplyDelete