Tuesday, June 3, 2014

The Relocation Chronicles - Chapter One

This is yet another occasional series, where I'll share what I learn and see about my planned move from Colorado to Tennessee. I am excited about the opportunity to go back down south.

Being a military veteran & formerly married, I had lots of help whenever I moved. In other words, I did very little to no actual work. Other than signing forms or watching other folks put my stuff on a truck, I was hands-off. So, this time it becomes an adventure because all the responsibility falls on me. I'm excited about going home, and I'm excited about having some say about my future. I just don't know what the heck I'm doing.

Today, I had lunch with my property manager/realtor. He's a good guy, and helped me in many ways over the years. Also, he's frat, so it's cool to keep it in the Brotherhood (he's a much better Brother than I'll ever be). He brought a hard copy appraisal with him, and we are both pleased with the possible proceeds. Now, the way ahead is a little clearer. My tenant's lease expires in four weeks. Once she's out, we can show the house to prospective buyers.

Why do I have a tenant? A few years ago, the house became too big for me. Once my kids moved out, I wasn't excited about maintaining it alone. It's not a mansion by any means, but I don't need that much space. The money came in handy, but it seemed more like getting use out of the asset. I'm glad the tenant was able to have some stability in her life.

The house has a bunch of memories. It was the first one (actually only one) my first wife and I ever bought. It looks like it was a great investment. She always had great judgment, and I get to benefit from her vision.

Then, nearly 10 years later, my second wife moved in. By then, we had the basement remodeled to suit her desires (including a walk-in closet for literally 300 pair of shoes. I moved them in, so it's no exaggeration). Today, the valuation might be a bit higher if that space was a bedroom instead of a closet, but at the time I was in a "anything you want, baby" mood.

So, like nearly everyone, I can look back and see some cool, crazy, crushing moments. On some level, it's bittersweet to actually sell the house and "break camp". But, let me ask you this:

If you were alone & money wasn't a consideration, where would YOU choose to live? What would be the big criteria that would drive your choice?

No comments:

Post a Comment