Friday, August 9, 2013

The Strategic Air & Space Museum

On my last road trip, I stopped in to check out this facility. It was enjoyable, and brought back some cool memories.

I was a Strategic Air Command ("SAC") troop from '86-'92. Those were some of the best years of my career in the U.S. Air Force. I'd been to Offutt Air Force Base as a lieutenant, and was later stationed there. Offutt, as SAC headquarters, was looked on with respect and a little awe. These were the men and women charged with organizing, training and equipping SAC troops worldwide to deal with a potential nuclear world war. It took a special type of person to work that mission.

At Offutt years ago, a section of Bellevue, Nebraska (adjacent to the base) was annexed to store and display artifacts of SAC's history. In 1998, the museum was moved to Ashland, NE (about a half hour west of Omaha). In 2001, the name was changed to its present designation to open up more opportunities to display artifacts & host programs that would reflect the nature of the mission.

As I pulled up in the parking lot and looked at the building, it reminded me so much of major command (MAJCOM) headquarters. I actually got a bit of an anxious rush walking up the ramp towards the front door. I also chuckled, thinking "this is the type of day where young lieutenants & enlisted troops would be out policing the grounds".

Once inside, it's a first-rate aviation museum. Between the static display aircraft, mock-ups, uniform displays and video rooms, there's plenty to see. Being up close to aircraft like the FB-111 Aardvark and the B-17 Flying Fortress was another rush. It's been a long time since I've been on a flight line, so being able to touch aircraft was neat.

The gift shop has numerous models, books, postcards and the like. I bought a "walk-around" book regarding the KC-135. It was cool to see pics of different components of that old warhorse.

For me, with a military retiree ID, admission was $11. It was well worth it. I enjoyed the trip down memory lane. I miss SAC, but I understand the evolving nature of politics and war. There's a time and place for everything, and SAC's time has come and gone. But, by its' alums, it will never be forgotten.

No comments:

Post a Comment