Monday, April 25, 2016

The Perception of Value, and the Value of Perception

As always, I thank those who've purchased "None of Our Hands Are Clean". I really pray you enjoy it, and it generates conversation. I thank God for this opportunity.

Recently, I had an acquaintance vociferously expect a free copy. The acquaintance didn't mean any harm, but it spoke to a level of familiarity that left me somewhat uncomfortable.

An interesting part of this journey is convincing some people I'm trying to run this as a business. To me, this isn't some school project where I'd want pats on the head or a passing grade.

That's from where today's post title comes.

As I market my novel, I'm trying to foster the perception that there's value in buying it, reading it, telling others about it, etc. I want my work to be worthwhile to readers, even as it challenges them in some way. We all understand on some level that the proper product price point influences what we think a consumable is worth.

In addition, I learn about myself when I value what others perceive in my work. Thanks to my editor Shelia Bell for reminding me not to tell my readers what to think as they read the story, understand the characters, and perhaps re-assess their own understanding of certain situations. My readers teach me as they provide feedback. Of course I have to be judicious in how I use that feedback, but it's a fascinating cycle. At least it's fascinating until I'm "in my feelings" one day, and constructive criticism pushes me to a big bowl of ice cream.

I've been telling folk all the while NOOHAC isn't a one-off effort. I definitely want this to be the first of numerous successful novels. I'm happy this effort forces me to engage a different part of my brain. I'm in this thing, but some large parts I cannot control.

No comments:

Post a Comment