Monday, January 28, 2013

"A Man's Gotta Eat" - Baked Trout

I like to eat. Being divorced, I get to be responsible for whatever grub I cook & eat (for good or ill). From time to time, I will post here recipes I've learned, places I've dined, or things I've tried that leave me saying "never again". The stuff I try is usually simple. Maybe some of these would work for you as well.

I may even post insights from the "Cheeseburgers Across America Tour".

I'm not a great cook, but two key things I've learned are 1) have your ingredients near before starting, and 2) whenever possible, slow-cooking is best.

Anyway, last week, a friend gave me some fresh trout. Her brother got a string of fish from a friend who'd caught them in a stream not far from here. I got four that were already cleaned, but not de-boned. Bone removal was simple, though. Each fish was about 10 inches long (excluding the head, of course), and about 4 inches wide at the widest point.

The friend suggested this prep:

  • Preheat oven to 325 degrees
  • Slice a lemon, and put half a slice inside each cavity
  • Add a small pat of butter 
  • Sprinkle a a dash or two of paprika 
  • Wrap securely in aluminium foil 
  • Place on the middle rack in the oven
  • Cook for 30 minutes

Turned out fine. The fish was delicate, not very oily/fishy.

No comments:

Post a Comment