Thursday, September 26, 2013

CTD Update - One Day Closer

Flyin' me back to Memphis
Gotta find my Daisy Jane
Well, the summer's gone
And I hope she's feelin' the same

(Thanks to LyricsMode.com and the band America.)

A handful of y'all may remember me writing this. Me running my mouth about making changes. Preparing for a bright future. Well, today was a tangible piece of that effort. I got one step closer to moving back home, and it feels superb.

Thursday's always been my favorite day of the week. The weather was near-perfect: sunny, a light breeze and 70 degrees or so. I got to the storage facility, and there were only a few people around. I had plenty of room to move about and take care of business, without getting in someone else's way.

There were some things easily identified as candidates for donation. A shovel and other garden tools. Several crutches. A chess set, containing sculpted glass pieces.  A container filled with packing nuggets. A treadmill I never used. Various Christmas decorations. All sent on for someone else to enjoy.

Sure, there was the briefest hint of a memory. Many of those items were in my house before I got divorced. In another circumstance, they may have provided some utility in a happy home. When my ex left, she left those things behind. I have to assume she didn't want them. I don't need them. So why keep them?

Loading up my car was a rush. Just to "clear the decks" by getting rid of that stuff really lifted my spirits. It's as if a bit of burden was removed from my back & shoulders. I needed a bit of tangible evidence that the time for moving is coming soon. Suddenly, the stagnant life I experienced in 2012 seems like a distant memory. The future really looks bright.

Once again, it reminds of the last day of school, or the last day at a job. The fresh air of freedom blew through my life, clearing out the musty and unwanted. I couldn't help but smile. (For those who know me & claim I don't smile much, you shoulda seen it.)

The guys at the Goodwill donation center in my neighborhood couldn't have been nicer. And, I got a Tootsie Pop for my trouble ("who loves ya, baby?).

The clean-out was so much fun, I plan to go back tomorrow. Friday's run may prove to be more of a garbage removal than a salvage op, but that's alright. As I clean out the garbage from the storage facility, I clean out some of the garbage from my head and spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment