Thursday, September 19, 2013

In Dreams - "I'm Gonna Sing With Chrissy Hynde?"

I'm in Memphis, in this big convention center-type building. There's some kinda conference set up, and rows of chairs are all over the place. I'm walking around in that fake-big-shot way I sometimes do (pretending to know what's going on, speaking to every person who'll make eye contact, etc.). I find myself in the lobby. Nothing going on here, I think to myself. I still feel a familiar nervousness, since the program will start at any moment.

I go back into the main ballroom, and there are suddenly folk everywhere. Dozens of small conversations are going on, and there is a general buzz of noise all around me. I feel a sense of responsibility to the group, that whatever we gathered to do must get done in an expeditious fashion. I shift into "control freak" mode, bossing people around with a soft but firm voice. The people I direct look at me with quizzical expressions, but they go about the business as I direct. As I direct the order of events, someone walks up to me with a note. I receive the note, unfold it, then start to read.

The note was from Chrissy Hynde, leader of the Pretenders. I had no idea the Pretenders were even in Memphis, but I read the note as it was completely sincere/not a prank.

The note read that she wants me to duet with her on two songs. One is titled "Determination", the other "I Don't Know The Answers". I hadn't heard either before, and was at once flattered and bewildered. She hadn't ever heard me sing a single note. How or why would she think I would be a worthy singing partner? I let the flattery overwhelm my bewilderment, and rushed to a restroom to warm up my singing voice. The conference would be alright without my direct involvement.

I rummage through my memory. I was a Pretenders' fan in the '80s, but I hadn't memorized every song they've ever done. I started to let my imagination run wild. Supposed she wanted me to go on the road with the band? Supposed this was the start of my new career of backing vocalist? What would I wear onstage? Normally, it seems backing vocalists wear darker colors and simple outfits - I had black clothes at home, I thought. Will I be able to go home to pack, or will I have to leave right away?

I never did meet Hynde directly.

No comments:

Post a Comment