Monday, September 2, 2013

Random Observations Around a Wedding

Remember when "catfish" meant good eating, and not lying to people under the guise of "pranks"? The groom's family hosted the rehearsal dinner, and fried a virtual ton of catfish. Dang, that was good eating. And, I hadn't had hush puppies in ages.

My car's AC was out of coolant on Friday. Didn't want to be in a mess dress sweating. Bought the "A/C Pro (tm)" stuff. Worked pretty good.

My son went to his first bachelor party the night before the wedding. I don't know what happened. I don't want to know.

Roughly 100 people were at the rehearsal dinner the night before. Interesting how everyone just naturally fell into their roles:

- House matriarch - you will pay your respects upon entering the home
- Man in charge of fried foods - an exalted position, a role that must be earned thru time
- Men who gather around man in charge of fried foods - we watch food, frying
- Kitchen non-commissioned officer - everything/everyone in its place, or else
- Wedding gift display lady - check out the bounty!
- Golfers - the great uniting pastime
- Young folk easing into the role of prime generation - their adult tastes guide the day's entertainment
- "Touch-and-Go people" - they stopped in just long enough to reconnoiter the scene

There was a lot less stress than I expected, leading up to the wedding. People were actually pretty mellow. To see everyone handle their tasks with virtually no drama was a relief.

Lots of folk recorded us on their tablets, phones, etc. I shudder to think I am present in more homes/on more devices than I care to count.

Young adults really, really love old-school R&B. During the reception, we got lots of Earth, Wind and Fire, Stevie Wonder, Stylistics, etc. Those grooves are eternal.

Knowing that I helped feed scores of people for the evening blew my mind. I had to resist the urge to see individuals as "unit cost per plate".

Toasts vary. Some can be long, others quite short. Nonetheless, a good toast really touches the heart.

Now that this big event is done, the next one appears to be the young couple having a baby. Had two different people approach me asking if I was ready to be called "grandpa". No. I am not ready. But, it doesn't matter if I am or not. If/when it does happen, though, that kid is getting lots of San Diego Chargers gear. Book it.

In the end, my daughter was beaming with joy. She got the ceremony she wanted. Attendees had a great time. The resultant good memories will last a lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment