Tuesday, April 2, 2013

In Dreams - "Kobe, You're Invited"

I was at the Los Angeles Lakers' practice facility in El Segundo, California. Laker practice had just ended, and I was there in some unknown capacity (not a player, though). I was familiar with everyone in the Laker organization, so my being there wasn't a problem. In fact, I was welcomed warmly, as if I was an asset to the organization.

Someone known by us all was preparing to get married. The groom was much admired, so all of us would want to attend if possible. I was carrying the news throughout the building. The dilemma was a limited number of wedding invitations. Everyone associated with the Lakers wouldn't be invited.

As I walked into one of the practice gyms, I encountered three people sitting around a table: Pau Gasol, former Laker player Happy Hairston and Kobe Bryant. I was directed to carry the news to the three men at the table. Pau was invited, Happy was not. There was some back and forth about Kobe (because of his fame - his attending could be a huge distraction).

I told each guy about his attendance status. Pau was relieved. Happy accepted the news calmly. Kobe smugly sat at the table expecting to be invited. But when I confirmed that fact, he sincerely seemed happy to be a part of the wedding party. He promptly started offering suggestions on what the wedding party should do. He was a lot more personable than his reputation suggests.

No comments:

Post a Comment