Saturday, April 13, 2013

There's a Squirrel on "Death Row", Somewhere in America

I have an acquaintance/collaborator with whom I work from time to time. Part of her duties include running warehouse operations for her company. Her shop has been plagued by a neighborhood squirrel. She hears him skittering around, but can't quite get her hands on the rodent.

An animal control guy came out to her shop a few weeks ago & effected capture of the furry trespasser. The AC guy took the critter to a nearby park (a couple of blocks or so away from the facility). Squirrels, being smart critters, can retrace their steps fairly well. This one in particular returned to the scene of his crime, making himself a nuisance.

Friday night, my acquaintance put out a cage trap, with some peanut butter to entice the little rodent (Who doesn't like peanut butter? I realize those with nut allergies can't have it, but for those who can consume safely...?). And, yeah, the squirrel took the peanutty bait.

Saturday morning, the captured little animal was noticed in the cage. He wasn't very animated, more sullen than anything else. I think he realized his days are numbered. Several people, myself included, all came by the critter and pretty much trash-talked the squirrel.

"You're goin' down, man."

"How ya like death row, ya little fuzzy-tailed rat?"

"Monday's coming."

The squirrel had no rebuttal, not even a hiss.

So, the AC guy is scheduled to come out on Monday to finish off the little guy.

Hear me out on this - I do love animals. The domesticated ones are a joy to be around. The ones that can cause humans harm, and in fact are pests/dangers to human health, are the ones I have no use for. I'd rather the squirrel go down than my friend have to endure rabies shots.

No comments:

Post a Comment