Thursday, April 11, 2013

In Dreams - A Man on the Move

This one was a three-parter.

First off, I was at a gym on a military installation. It must have been a holiday, or that time between lunch and the end of the duty day. The gym wasn't full at all, especially the basketball court. As I walked in, I saw two or three ladies on the far end of the court. They weren't actually playing basketball. They were standing around talking, and sporadically dribbling the ball as if they'd just finished a game.

As I stood around, someone behind me reminded me that I was there to find a certain guy for a certain task. I started walking around to find this guy, but was unsuccessful.

Next scene was me outside. I was at a flight-line, but the tarmac wasn't paved. The dirt was tamped down enough to be almost as hard as asphalt, but not quite. There was enough dust to be noticeable.

There was some sort of emergency declared, and several emergency vehicles emerged from large wooden sheds. It was a cold day, so the response team members were wearing military-issue parkas. Two or three large vehicles rumbled out of their sheds, then an extra-long vehicle came out from some off-site area. The last vehicle looked like several tractor-trailers welded together end-to-end. The welds were quite visible, giving the image of a jury-rigged configuration. The welded parts weren't all painted the same color, either. The whole endeavor seemed thrown together suddenly.

The last scene had me in Greenville, Mississippi. I was on a neighborhood street, in an open lot between two shotgun shacks. The yards were all on a slight up-slope. As I stood in the open lot, a lady drove up from my right. She was in an mid-70s Chevy Impala four-door, painted black. On the car's roof were two floor mats from inside the car. From a distance, they looked like typical cloth floor mats. After she got out of the car, she walked to the passenger side to get the floor mats. As she slid them off the car's roof, I could hear a tinny scraping sound, as if the mats were made of metal.

As she walked away, I looked over my left shoulder. Behind me on the open lot was the remains of a house. The roof was intact, but some of the walls were gone. I had maybe 18 inches of clearance over my head. I went to the remains of the house, and stood under the roof. I could still see outside, and watched the lady as she walked away from her car.

No comments:

Post a Comment