Tuesday, April 30, 2013

In Dreams - "Memphis to L.A. and Back"

I was back in Memphis, and it felt good. Some enterprising developer had built some really nice townhouses adjacent to FedEx Forum, home of my favorite pro and college basketball teams. I had recently bought one and moved in. Life was pretty sweet.

One perk of living in the townhouse community was we could freely walk around the arena certain times of day, as long as we didn't make a mess. I'd gone over to pay for my luxury box for the upcoming Grizzlies' season (don't ask me where I got the cash). It was a good feeling to know my family and I could watch every home game from the comfort of a luxury suite.

After that, I'd gone through the private gym in the bowels of the arena. The gym was another perk of living in the townhouse community, and the gym's amenities were first rate. I didn't stop that day for a workout, but made a mental note to get back there soon.

As the day wore on, there was some gathering in the arena's concourse. Blake Griffin of the Clippers was in the midst of a public relations appearance on behalf of the NBA. Even though he was a member of a league rival, Memphians came out in droves to see him in person. I tried to avoid the crush of the crowd, and walked past the group on the way back to my townhouse.

Next thing I knew, I was in Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles. It was a peaceful day in Chavez Ravine, but one thing threw me for a loop. the section of stands directly behind home plate was missing, as if a bomb had detonated and tore down a section of the stands. There were a few people there, and none seemed to mind the damage. I don't know what caused the damage, and didn't take the time to ask anyone.

Then, it was back to Memphis. I was on the campus of the University of Memphis, at the campus bookstore. My brother and I went there to look for something, but I didn't know exactly. He wouldn't tell.

We got to the bookstore just before opening. I could see employees inside milling about, preparing for the work day. Also, an armored truck was either dropping off or picking up a batch of currency, so an armed guard was there watching the proceedings. Finally, we got in the store and my brother asked one of the store managers a few questions. The two people were off to the side, whispering about something. I couldn't hear my brother's request, but the manager couldn't satisfy it. The two shook hands, my brother looked at me & motioned towards the door, and we left.

No comments:

Post a Comment