Friday, May 24, 2013

In Dreams - "Ballin' at USAFA"

I was in one of the dorms at the Air Force Academy. I wasn't a cadet, however. I was an old guy in town for a basketball tournament being held on campus. I'd arrived in town late the night before the tournament's start. The hallways were dark as I searched for my dorm room.

My uniform was laid out on my bed, a reversible jersey and game-quality shorts. The colors were familiar - the same as my old high school (black and orange). In fact, our high school team mascot (Bulldogs) was displayed on both sides of the jersey. As I settled in, I turned on the television for background noise. There may have been a basketball game on TV as well. 

Soon, I heard a knock on the door. Two guys with whom I'd went to high school were there, asking me if I wanted to go get pizza. We headed out and got some chow.

The next day, the games began. I didn't start, but I was the team's sixth man. I got in the game after a few minutes elapsed, playing forward. I didn't score (even in real life, I wasn't a great shooter), but I played pretty good help defense. I felt supremely confident that I had a counter for any offensive set they had. 

We won the game, there was the typical bragging and animosity you get after adult league games, then we went back to the dorms to clean up. The cycle of events in my room started all over again - my uniform laid out on my bed, the TV on, the two guys knocking on the door. This time, I actually felt hungry.

No comments:

Post a Comment