Thursday, May 9, 2013

The Homeless - What Do You Think?

Saw this in the local paper today.

I know there are tons of stereotypes about folk who live out on the streets. Have any of you actually ever met a homeless person? How does the encounter compare to your preconceived notions?

I've been blessed to help some in a ministry that reaches out to the homeless. There are much more complicated issues than I thought before actually volunteering in this area.

I don't have answers. My understanding has broadened, however. What I ask of you is this: next time you encounter a homeless person, would you look that person in the eye? Actually talk to that person as a person, and not a symbol? Listen to his or her answers?

I guarantee you will learn as much about yourself as what you learn about that homeless person. I know I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment