Monday, May 20, 2013

In Dreams - "Where Would You Go When You Steal A Truck?"

Answer: to my dad's house.

I was in my home town, cruising the streets with my son. I was in my SUV, the weather was nice, the windows were open and we had some tunes going. It was a relaxing time, but we were starting to get bored.  So we figured we would go to my dad's house.

He lives on the southern edge of my home town. He's been there for over 40 years, and has seen numerous changes in his time there. At first, the neighborhood was pretty peaceful, but over time the previous residents moved away & a different caliber of resident moved in. The new folk weren't as intent on keeping up their respective properties. Soon, more crime moved in.

In my dream, however, it was peaceful. No danger. As we got within a few blocks of his house, I spotted a pickup truck parked on the side of the road. The truck had the graphics and paint job typical of the city utility company. The driver may have been reading meters or other official work. He may have lived in the neighborhood & stopped at home for a convenience break. Whatever the reason, he left his keys in the ignition. The window was open. I parked my car, my son and I got out of mine and into the truck, and off we rode.

We got to my dad's house and pulled up in his driveway. He was happy to see us, but mildly surprised that we weren't in my SUV.

We went inside and immediately noticed he'd remodeled his kitchen. Gone was the dark paneling on the walls, replaced by a brilliant white coat of paint on the walls. He'd gotten one of those fancy new stoves where the whole surface was capable of heating up to cook food. He'd also gotten a fancy stainless steel refrigerator  with a side freezer that had a plexiglass door. Odd thing was, he kept the four-place table and chair set we had when I was a 5-year-old. It looked so out of place with the new decor, but I instinctively understood why he had it there. It was a nod to the past, one that I appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment