Thursday, March 28, 2013

Finally picked up my bass guitar

I've been whining lately about being bored (how dare I?). I'm fortunate to have some flexibility in my golden years, so I should take more advantage of that time.

Wednesday night, after the Grizzlies-Knicks game ended, I found myself sitting around in my bedroom. My old 4-string Squier P-bass was on a stand near the bed. I picked it up, and it felt good. I hadn't played since maybe '08 or '09. I turned to the blues station my satellite provider puts out, listened to some Lightning Hopkins, and tried to play along. I listened to tunes by Shirley Brown, Robert Cray and John Lee Hooker, to name a few. At first glance, the bass lines sound basic, but there was more complexity than I could handle. Gives me something to shoot for, at least.

I am probably the worst bassist in town, but that's alright for now. I can feel the kindling of a possible fire, that desire to play again. This time, I have time to really dig in, let the lessons take root. I think it's gonna be loads of fun.

I don't have to be bored.

No comments:

Post a Comment