Friday, March 29, 2013

In Dreams - A Dream Within a Dream

This one's too goofy for words.

I was in one of those silly "real world" reality TV casts. I was in a group home with my former aircraft commander from my Air Force days, my ex-wife, and assorted men and women whom I'd never met. The house was a fixer-upper, and one of our tasks was to fix it up. I'd been assigned the kitchen.

I was to install appliances, cabinets, lighting, etc. Given that I'd never been trained in any of that, I of course goobered it up badly. So, there's your contrived conflict - how the others were impatiently waiting to cook meals while I stumbled around trying to assemble an oven and a microwave.

This went on for a few hours, then we collectively called it a day. As I went to sleep, I had a dream (yeah, I had a dream about having a dream). The dream-within-a-dream was my former aircraft commander, myself and some other flight crew flying on a training sortie, but the goofy part was we never got more than 30 miles from home station. I had home station on the aircraft radar the whole while, so there was no need for plotting/fixing/altering heading in the classic sense. We would fly from east to west, in a straight line just north of home station, then we would make a 180-degree turn, then fly from west to east parallel to the line we'd just flown. We did that for maybe an hour or so, in a modified race-track pattern. All the while, some of the navigation equipment was broken, so I was trying to affect repairs while airborne. None of my attempts worked. Just like in the kitchen, my AC was peeking over my shoulder, asking how long it would be before I was done. After that hour-long duration, we landed.

Next, I was back at the group home, trying to assemble appliances when my former AC told me to stop working on the microwave. I looked around the room, looked back at the spot on the counter where the microwave was, and noticed the appliance was gone. There was only an outline of dust and scattered screws where it had been. My former AC advised me to step aside, because a new microwave had been ordered and was being delivered. I could hear a truck pull up in the driveway outside, and I could hear two guys talking as they walked towards the kitchen.

As I stepped aside, I noticed activity in the living room. My ex-wife was there, on the floor assembling a flat-screen television stand. She completed the task, we put the television in place, and turned it on.

The first thing we saw on-screen was a concert. The act playing was the heavy metal band Dokken, with special guest Alicia Keys. I have no idea why the two acts were together on stage, and woke up before I could actually hear them play.

I had to get up to write it all down, or else I wouldn't have believed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment