Thursday, March 7, 2013

In Dreams - Storms, Ironing, Dogs, Pheasant

The parts I remember:

I was back at a house where I lived during my junior high years. It was a small Section 8 house, but in the dream it had been enlarged and remodeled. At this point, I was an adult, and the family had all moved back. We were there for some sort of ceremony - reunion, wedding, promotion or similar. Scattered thunderstorms periodically pounded the house, sound and fury.

I was looking for an iron so I could press a shirt. I kept finding irons that had large water reservoirs, almost like water pitchers attached to heating elements. They looked silly, so I kept looking for an iron that looked like a normal iron. As I looked for a normal iron, this guy came up to me and said "tell people what God has done for you. I'll do the same. Promise me we both will do this." I agreed, we shook hands, and I resumed looking for the iron.

I even went outside to look in my car for a normal iron. As I looked, I noticed we had received three newspapers, all in those familiar blue plastic bags. A lady who was nearby also noticed, and took two of the papers and threw them down the street, as if to share with neighbors.

Scene shift: now, I'm back in rural Tennessee, near where my first wife grew up. I was playing touch football with some guys, but I couldn't see their faces.  We were on a paved country road, which was barely wide enough for two cars. We were in a 4-wide receiver formation, and I was one of the four. Seemed strange to be 4-wide on a narrow road, but there you go. The ball was snapped, we started sprinting. Two receivers stopped after a few strides, another guy did something I didn't/couldn't see, and I went deep. The quarterback threw me the ball, a perfect spiral right on target, in stride. It landed on my right (outside) hand. I bobbled it for an instant, then grasped it firmly. I sprinted the rest of the way with the pigskin in my grip. Touchdown.

As I whooped and hollered with the other three guys, we saw three German Shepherds chase a pheasant, from nearby cotton fields to the street and back. The pheasant was skittering around just enough to stay out of reach of the dogs, as if it was a game of tag. One of the dogs stopped to take a poop in the middle of the road, then resumed the chase. After we laughed at the scene, I noticed off to the other side of the road a German Shepherd puppy, a round little fuzz ball of a dog. It was cute and energetic. It tried so hard to join in the chase game with that pheasant, but its stubby legs weren't up to the task.

As we ended the game, and went to a house, that same guy with whom I'd shaken hands showed up. Again, he told me "tell people what God has done for you."

I have no idea where all that came from.

No comments:

Post a Comment