Saturday, March 23, 2013

In Dreams - "...and your starting pitcher is..."

It's snowing again. I know we need moisture, and I thank God for moisture in a drought-stricken area. But, my body is getting older. I don't endure the cold like I did 30 years ago. Where's the beach?

Anyway, this dream took me back to my high school days. I was a starting pitcher on the school's baseball team (which mirrored real life). The difference in the dream was baseball was a much bigger deal locally. "Opening day" amongst the high schools was accompanied with major-league-level fanfare.

There were several games played that afternoon, right after school. Since our team was considered an up-and-coming bunch, we were gonna be featured as the only night game in the city on that date. Our game was going to be broadcast on the radio (which was going to be a big deal for us).

Since we didn't play until later, I goofed around after school. I went for a cheeseburger at a nearby snack bar. I walked to a different school to watch other teams (as if I was some kinda neighborhood big-shot). All the while, I walked around wearing my baseball jacket with official team insignia (go, Bulldogs!). Yeah, it was my day. I felt ready, or maybe "cocky". College and pro scouts were expected to be there. It was to be the start of a triumphant year.

I stopped by my home to rest up a bit before the game. Softly and quietly, I drifted off to sleep. It felt good.

A few hours later, I awakened with a start. I'd overslept and found myself late for the game. By the time I got to my school's ball field, the game was half over. I'd blown my big chance for exposure. I tried to skulk my way into the dugout, but was spotted instantly. To their credit, my coach and teammates didn't berate or insult me. After all, the team was winning. The pitcher who did start for my team was doing well, the team was winning, and everybody carried on as if I was invisible. I could overhear a couple of folks in the stands talk about how the scouts were impressed at the starting pitcher, and how he would have his pick of college scholarship opportunities. He might even get drafted by a big-league organization. He might even get a signing bonus. The chance I wanted, he would get.

I didn't feel anger. I did feel a sense of sadness for missing an opportunity, but I still felt hopeful about the rest of the season.

No comments:

Post a Comment