Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Day 6 - A Little More History

Went to a church different than my home church on Sunday. I was a visitor because the speaker was the same pastor who baptised me decades ago.

He was scheduled to share some of his experiences in the civil rights movement. His being no more than thirty feet behind Dr. King on the Mall in '63 was a fascinating account of the inner workings of the movement.

His recollection of his role in the events during the time in the '60s, as Memphis sanitation employees struck for better working conditions was equally captivating. Even as an elected city councilman, he was not immune to verbal and physical abuse all too common at the time. He mentioned the two high school students who shielded his body with their own during one horrifying moment of police abuse. Wow.

These rememberings are meant to be part of a memoir he's working on. I eagerly look forward to reading the finished product.

I often wonder how I would have reacted if I was an adult in the middle of that era.

No comments:

Post a Comment