Monday, February 11, 2013

Old Dude, Old Movies - "Stage Door"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0029604/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Ginger Rogers, Katharine Hepburn, Eve Arden, Lucille Ball and Ann Miller are among the stars in this ensemble film released in 1937. It's based on a Broadway play of the same name, about a boarding house several aspiring actresses inhabit whilst waiting for their big breaks in the theatre.

On some levels, it's a precursor to the ensemble "chick flicks" that happen now and again. The interactions between the ladies, sharing triumphs and setbacks, keep you engrossed. The sharp, swift banter between several of the residents keeps viewers on their toes.

Eve Arden stands out as the voice of (relative) reason amongst the residents. Lucille Ball, who never really achieved leading lady status in A-list pictures, also shines as a lady who is seeking stage stardom and romance at the same time.

Gail Patrick, Adolphe Menjou, Jack Carson, and Grady Sutton ("Og Oggilby" in W.C. Fields "The Bank Dick") have roles that keep the laughs coming.

Even with the heart-wrenching scenes towards the end, it is entertaining overall. There is a cute transition at the end, pointing out how dreams can be universal and never-ending.

Snow is still falling here in my town today, and I had no interest in getting out in it. Since I was in for the day, I put this on and laughed quite a bit. I probably wouldn't go out of my way to make time to watch this like I do for "Casablanca", but I liked this movie.


No comments:

Post a Comment