Wednesday, February 20, 2013

My Team - Washington Nationals in spring training

I love baseball. It's my favorite sport, my only soap opera and one of my favorite pastimes.

I've told a few folk, but here's why I chose the Nats. As a kid, my hometown had the Montreal Expos' Triple-A franchise for a few years. Some of the guys on that roster (Gary Carter, Jose Morales, Ellis Valentine) ended up with the big club after their time in Triple-A. I've followed the franchise since.

Last year was the year Nationals fans have waited for since at least '94. The team won 98 games, and went to the playoffs. The playoff loss to St. Louis was disappointing, but there is hope for the '13 season.

I probably won't write something for every game (162? Sounds too much like work to me). I will probably post something before every series this season.

Regarding the roster, the team made some changes, but brought in guys who can contribute. Michael Morse going to Seattle wasn't a surprise. He's a good hitter, but finding a place for him defensively would have been difficult. With him leaving, Bryce Harper moves to left field. New acquisition Denard Span moves into center field and the leadoff slot in the batting order. Span doesn't have Rick Ankiel's arm from the outfield (but who else does?). Span has a lot of range in the field, and should help the defense.

The infield is solid. The catching, with Kurt Suzuki and Wilson Ramos, is a strength.

To me, the pitching staff is solid, but questions remain. The loss of Gorzelanny, Gonzalez and Burnett (three lefties) leaves a void to be filled. Those guys were so productive out of the bullpen last year. They rarely got rattled, got key outs late in games, and provided a stabilizing influence for the pitching staff. Zach Duke will fill some of that role. MLBTradeRumors.com reported that the team signed LHP Will Ohman to a minor-league contract. If Ohman makes the big-league club AND consistently gets guys out in a "left-handed, one-out guy" role, it will bolster the team's chances.

As most baseball fans know, the starting staff is very good. Stephen Strasburg is free of all pre-set innings  pitched restrictions. A healthy Strasburg should be able to approach 200 innings, 17 or so wins, and around 210 strikeouts.

I usually root for teams that have their ups and downs (see the San Diego Chargers). It's weird to me that one of my favorite teams is a title contender. The Washington Nationals are that contender in '13.

The usual caveat applies, though. Injuries, slumps, distractions, etc., could drop this team to also-ran status.

I can't wait for the season to start. Bring it on!


No comments:

Post a Comment